Popular Posts of the Week

Aug 19, 2007

Review: Final Fantasy I



Though I owned a Nintendo Entertainment System when I was a wee girl, I somehow missed playing the beginning of an amazing franchise known as Final Fantasy. Named for the fact, that Squaresoft was betting their last dime on the success of their game, Final Fantasy in the market as it could be the company's final game, Final Fantasy has become one of the best selling RPGs of all time. I guess it was a good bet.

Final Fantasy I was originally made for the NES, but Square Enix has remade this game for both the Playstation one as Final Fantasy Origins and the Nintendo Gameboy Advance as Final Fantasy I&II: Dawn of Souls. The PSP is very similar to these remakes but with some amazing updated graphics and music.

The game follows the story of 4 warriors who are on a quest to destroy a great evil. You are given the choice to name your characters and the job of your characters which range from Warriors to White Mages. I chose a warrior, black mage, monk and white mage for my party.

Final Fantasy I on the PSP still stays true to the original NES version with the same storylines, gameplay and menus. There are even extra dungeons to explore after you finish the main quest.

The graphics have been updated to make the 2d monsters and characters look 3d and their graphics enhanced to look more colourful. The backgrounds have even been enhanced to a more 3d look.

The music in FFI is still the wonderful soundtrack we've come to know and love but it’s been updated to increase the beauty of the pieces. I found the music had more of a full orchestra sound to it now.

If you don't have a PSP to try this great remake of a classic RPG, then try finding an old copy of one of the previous remakes. It may not be as pretty looking or sounding as the PSP version but you still get to try some great RPGs.

Rating: 9 of 10

No comments: