Popular Posts of the Week

Jan 4, 2010

The Girl Gamer's Top Ten Games of 2009


10. Resident Evil 5

I couldn’t start my list without included one of my favourite franchises, Resident Evil. Resident Evil 5 brought back favourites like Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine and Albert Wesker as well as introducing a few new characters and enemies. Resident Evil started our video game love affair with zombies and it will always be as addictive as the T-Virus is infectious. I plan to check out The Darkside Chronicles on the Nintendo Wii very soon.


9. Ghostbusters: the Video Game

This has been a good year for fan boys in the video game industry and Ghostbusters was just one game to proof that fact. Picking up where the 2nd movie left off, the excellent story line will bring you back into the world of the Ghostbusters as if you never left, and the excellent voice-over work of the original movie cast and funny humour of Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis doesn’t the nostalgia factor either.


8. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

Who knew all my knowledge of logic puzzles would finally pay off in video games? Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, the sequel to the highly cool Professor Layton and the Curious Village, will have you using brain cells you didn’t know you had in order to solve all its many logic puzzles and dark mysteries. Only Nintendo could make learning this fun and addicting. Kudos to the Professor and his assistant on another excellent game and hopefully we’ll see another one of your sequels come to our shores next year.


7. Ratchet and Clank Future: Crack in Time

This was truly a year of new game experiences for me and one of those experiences was my first real Ratchet and Clank game. So many franchises don’t survive to see their next generation of consoles or if they do, they live on a series of failed titles like Sonic the Hedgehog, but Ratchet and Clank is now on their 3rd generation console and they are still rocking the platforming genre. You’ll love this dynamic duo and their crazy arsenal of weapons and gadgets. Bonus points for the awesome weapons commercials shown in the game.


6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Like a blast from the past, the New Super Mario Bros. Wii is like playing Super Mario Bros. 3 all over again with a shiny new coat of paint. With a new power-up suits and multiplayer modes, it’s time venture forth into the Mushroom Kingdom with the brothers and save the Princess again. Hopefully she’s not in another castle this time.


5. Halo 3: ODST – Xbox 360

I have to give high props to the first Halo FPS that managed to grab my attention. Halo 3: ODST’s film noir style story line and all-star voice cast made this a fabulous game to kill a Sunday afternoon with. Sure, the campaign mode might be short but you’ll have Firefight mode afterwards to fill the void as well as the second disc full of Halo 3 multiplayer maps if you don’t already own them all. I plan to go back and finish the fight this winter with the first 3 Halo games now that this game has shown me what I’ve been missing.


4. Borderlands – Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC

Imagine Fallout 3 – take out all the extreme walking times between missions, add a 4 player co-op mode and injected some wicked humour and you have Borderlands. This futuristic Mad Max like role-playing game will have you and your friends addicted to its vast landscapes, cool weapons and freaky looking enemies. Fallout 3’s vault will be a thing of the past and Pandora’s legendary vault will be all you can think about all.


3. Batman: Arkham Asylum – Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC

Batman: Arkham Asylum couldn’t have been a more perfect Batman video game and it was hard not to put this game higher on the list after all the crappy games we Batman fans have suffered through over the years, but honestly I can’t let my fan girl love of the Dark Knight affect my decisions. While Batman: Arkham Asylum did sport one of the best storyline lines, amazing game play and one of the best voice-over casts possible, the short ending, crappy Riddler reward and a few other issues kept this game at the number 3 spot.


2. Assassin’s Creed 2 – Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC

From the breath-taking digital recreation of Renaissance Italy to Ezio’s amazing killer moves, Assassin’s Creed will have you loving every minute of this sequel to the Assassin’s Creed franchise. You will be drawn into the story line here and once that’s complete, the side quests and item collection will keep the major perfectionists out there busy. This was an amazing follow-up to Assassin’s Creed which only improved upon the franchise and I can’t wait to check out the first DLC in February.


1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Playstation 3

If you need a reason to purchase a Playstation 3, this Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is it. Heart stopping action, eye popping graphics and interactive game play unlike anything I’ve ever seen. The developers at Naughty Dog have set the bar high for what games should be – interactive Hollywood blockbusters. While this was an amazing year for games, Uncharted 2 is still the clear winner in my mind as the game’s amazing musical score still tugs at my heart strings and the graphics still blow my mind every time I see them. When my brother-in-law bought his Playstation 3 on Boxing Day this year, this was the first game suggestion that popped out of my mouth as would it be to anyone buying the console.

Honourable Mentions: Loco Roco 2, Patapon 2, Little King’s Story and Boom Blox Bash Party.

Best Downloadable Games of the Year


1. Tales of Monkey Island: All Episodes – PC Game, Wiiware
2. Plants vs. Zombies – PC Game
3. Axel & Pixel – Xbox 360
4. Machinarium – PC Game
5. Shadow Complex – Xbox 360

Honourable Mention: Farmville

2 comments:

Grant said...

Just started Assassins Creed II. So far so good. I could have done without the first 30 minutes.

I like seeing Ghostbusters on your list. The greatness of the game was overlook. But then again I did play the Lost: Via Domis video Game. I am a sucker for tie ins. Burger King Pocketbike racer was the shit.

Letiel said...

Uncharted 2 WAS the first PS3 game I bought and I was super skeptical at first. HOLY COW. I freaking loved it. Drake is gorgeous and the graphics nearly burned my eyes out after playing the Wii.

So glad Assassin's Creed 2 is second. I freaking love that series and I tell ya, Ezio is something else!