Popular Posts of the Week

Nov 22, 2007

Gamers, remember to love your parents.

Today I checked out a Destructoid tip email for a new YTMND and this one was a real tear jerker. The piece was a small cartoon slide show done by a gamer who wanted to honour the memory of his mother.

The creator had turned his mother, who was sick with multiple sclerosis onto the game Animal Crossing and in the piece he recalls how she became quite obsessed with playing the game. As time went on, her condition got worse and she eventually had to stop playing.

She passed away last year and recently the creator went back to play the saved game that his mother and him played together. To his surprise, the game mailbox was full of letters and presents from his mother. She has spent most of her time collecting and sending presents to her son's character in game.

The creator of the cartoon said and I agree, that everyone should remember to love the parents they've got, because you never know when they will pass away.

My father was a huge influence in my life as a gamer and last year when he passed away, we weren't on the best of terms. He stopped making an effort to be a Dad due to my life choices and I stopped trying to be a daughter when I realized he wasn't interested in my life any more.

In the end, I tried to be there for him, but he shut my sister and I out rather then spend the rest of his time on earth loving us. I wish he hadn't chose to shut me out because he probably was the greatest influence on my passions in life. I wish I could have told him that in the end.

So gamers ... love your parents and try to bring them into the hobby that you love so much. You may find those will be the best times of your life.

No comments: